Hello friends! I wanted to share my FAVORITE summer recipe. It’s a dairy-free sugar-free (and guilt-free!) ice cream recipe for the whole family to enjoy!
YUP. You read that right. No Sugar. This ice cream recipe calls for monk fruit sweetener or pure stevia powder instead of processed sugar. NO junk or additives either!
This is also a non-dairy ice cream recipe, so instead of milk, you’ll use full-cream coconut milk.
THINK: smooth and creamy keto ice cream, without all the sugar or junk… This rich ice cream and made with real, healthy ingredients. It makes for a great summertime (or year-round) treat with the kids, and they love making it too!
How to Make Keto Ice Cream
For this recipe, you only need 5 ingredients + an ice cream maker! If you do not have an ice cream maker then you can freeze the mixture in ice cube trays and blend them in a Vitamix, but the ice cream maker really helps to smooth the ice cream out 🙂
This IS a keto ice cream recipe, but you don’t need to be on a ketogenic diet to enjoy this amazing and low-carb creamy ice cream!
Ingredients for Refined Sugar-Free Ice Cream (video featuring my best ice cream helper!)
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk/cream (the kind in the can)
- 1/3 cup of almond butter
- Monkfruit Sweetener (I used ~1.5 Tbs). Taste and adjust to your preferred sweetness.* Start low and go slow!
- 2 Tbs pure vanilla extract (the alcohol in this keeps it from freezing too hard)
- 2 1/2 – 3 Tbs cacao powder (personal preference – I like it DARK!!)
- 1/8 tsp salt
*You can use 1/8 tsp stevia powder instead of Monkfruit Sweetener. Taste and adjust to your preferred sweetness.
Sweetener swap: You may use any dry powdered sweetener like coconut sugar, If you are not worried about the carbs. Liquid sweeteners are not recommended because they usually make the mixture too icy. Sorry, maple syrup.
Directions for Homemade Chocolate Keto Ice Cream
1. Before making this ice cream, place ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for 24 hours or until completely solid, according to its directions!
2. Blend all of the ingredients in a blender. Taste and adjust, if needed. You can always add more sweetener, cacao, or salt (but you can’t take them away!).
3. Chill mixture. Place blender container of ice cream mixture in the freezer for 1 hour (or fridge for a couple hours) prior to churning. Get it COLD but do not freeze it.
4. Pour cold liquid mixture into ice cream maker and churn until thickened to ice cream consistency. (~10 minutes, depending on machine)
5. Transfer ice cream to a shallow dish and freeze for 1 hour, if you can ?. If you like it more like a soft serve, go ahead and eat it now!!
6. If you do freeze it to achieve normal ice cream consistency, thaw on counter for 5-10 min, and then ENJOY!!!!