Frequently Asked Questions
Scheduling & Visits
What Are The Restrictions On Virtual Doctor's Visits?
If you are NOT a resident of California, Colorado, or Georgia, your initial visit at Golden Road must be in person. Dr. Courtney King can make arrangements to see out of state patients visiting beautiful Colorado! In person retreats and Intensives will count for the in person visit, and intakes can be done virtually once an in-person visit/retreat/appointment has been booked.
After the first visit, most follow up appointments are via our HIPPA compliant, user friendly, video/telemedicine service, or by phone, to accommodate her busy clientele, and her select patients across the country.
Annual Membership patients have unlimited email contact with Dr. King, for any reason. However, if an email question or request is deemed to be too complicated or involved for a response via email, she may request that the member schedule a phone, or telemedicine visit instead of responding via email. There is no additional cost for extra appointments to address patient questions or concerns that are too complicated for email.
Scheduling & Cancellations
There is a 24-hour cancellation policy for all appointments with Courtney King, MD, or your health coach. Canceling within 24-hours will result in a $50 charge to the credit card on file.
No-shows: If you do not show up to a phone, video/telemedicine, or in-person appointment without notification, or without changing the appointment using the online scheduling tool on the patient portal, you will be charged $100 to the card on file.
** Even though patients do not pay per visit (as all care is included in the package, or monthly fee) late cancellations and no-shows will be charged, as above, in order to respect the time of Dr. King, and her other patients. Thanks for understanding!**
Billing & Insurance
We Are Not A Conventional Primary Care Physician
You must keep a current Primary Care Physician (PCP), in addition to seeing Dr. Courtney King. Because you can message us online during business hours, we can often give quick Integrative and holistic advice, for acute illnesses, by the end of the day. For example, if you feel a cold or sinus infection coming on, we can provide our favorite herbal and food-based remedies.
If you are to the point where you think you may need an antibiotic, or strep throat swab, etc., you will need to be seen by your PCP. That said, if you do think you are heading to your PCP for antibiotics, please email us ASAP so we can get you on the right probiotic regimen!!! We want to keep as many of those beautiful good bacteria in your gut that we can!
It is important to note the following, however:
1. We do not fulfill ANY insurance company’s requirement for an in-network primary care physician, as we are not in-network with any insurance plan.
2. We are not available for same-day emergency appointments.
3. We do not have a 24-hour answering service and do not take calls on weekends. We will schedule appointments on the weekends in advance when needed, but those are done case by case, for annual membership patients only. If you need to be seen urgently, or have a medical emergency, you will always need to visit an ER or urgent care center.
We Do Not Bill Insurance Companies
Golden Road is a cash-based service only (we take Visa, MC, AmEx, and you can use your FSA or HSA cards to pay as well). This ensures that we work directly for you, not for any insurance company that can negotiate what we can and cannot provide for your health.
We do not negotiate your best health care! The cost of any extra services provided by Golden Road which are not included in the monthly membership, or package fee, will be billed to you directly (supplements, additional labs, additional time with your health coach). We can provide a bill for you to use your Flexable Spending Account (FSA) or Health Spending Account (HSA) for our services.
Often times non-Golden Road medical expenses, such as lab tests and prescription medications, may be covered by a member’s health insurance plan, per that plan’s rules. You will always need to check with them first.
Golden Road will NOT submit a medical claim to insurance on your behalf. We cannot assist you with claim resolution for our services. We can provide you with a detailed billing summary (a “Super Bill”) that you may submit to your insurance for reimbursement if you have coverage for “out-of-network” providers.
There may be lab tests that are not covered, depending on your plan’s rules. Just as a heads up, If you have Kaiser insurance, they will not cover any services, or labs, outside of what is provided through Kaiser. We contract with a special affordable cash-based lab to fullfill the needs of our non-insured, under-insured, high-deductable, and PPO (Kaiser) patients.
About Lab Tests
- Most lab tests ordered by a physician will be billed directly to your insurance by the lab. Most blood labs at Labcorp are covered!
- Some lab tests that we offer as part of our functional medicine testing program may not be covered by insurance, and in these cases you will be charged a fee for a particular test by the lab. Golden Road does NOT mark up the price of the lab tests to our membership patients, so you only pay our special discounted practitioner rate for any add on Functional labs.
- The specific tests ordered will be personalized to you based on your initial evaluation with Dr. King, and may include blood, saliva, urine, or stool testing, as indicated.
- We will make every effort to make you fully aware of any additional lab fees that may be incurred, and we give you the opportunity to choose which lab tests you feel comfortable paying for at any given time.
- You are under no obligation to purchase any specialty testing. A lot can be accomplished by knowing your detailed history, using physician intuition, and implementing diet and lifestyle changes alone!
- Should any abnormal lab results indicate that you may need further standard routine testing, you will be directed to continue your care with your primary care physician, or a relevant specialist, while continuing to work with your Golden Road physician.
- At home test kits: If a lab test kit is mailed to you by Golden Road, you (or your insurance) will be charged when you mail the kit and sample back to the lab. We do not mark up the price of any lab.
- If your particular insurance company only pays for blood work done at a particular lab facility like LabCorp, or Quest, you must inform us of this in advance of having blood work done.
Golden Road Concierge Memberships all have a new patient initial intake fee of $1500.
- Comprehensive Functional Medicine Assessment and workup
- 90-min personalized intake and review of the detailed intake questionnaire
- An extensive review of previous medical records and lab work
- Personalized Diet and Lifestyle plans, recommendations for lab testing, ordering labwork
- 90-min session to review new lab findings
- Tapering or changing pharmaceutical medications
- Unlimited email access to Dr. Courtney via private patient email
- Discounted access to Golden Road online courses, and access to the Golden Road Private FB group
- Lots of love and support!!
Full Functional Members – $280 per month: If paid upfront, the total price is reduced to $4500, which includes the $1500 intake fee. This plan includes monthly appointments. Please see Offerings tab for full details.
Maintenance Membership – $185 per month: After the first year we evaluate your ongoing health needs. If you are needing less frequent visits, but want to maintain your optimal health, we can meet every 10-12 weeks after the first year of care. Please see more details under the Offerings tab, as this can be an option for new fairly healthy patients seeking optimization, as well.
*10% Family Discount: Health works WAY BETTER with a partner-in-crime!!! Join with a friend, or partner, to change your lives together!! Discount is for 2 or More people joining at the same time.
**Prices are subject to change.
Where Does Your Golden Road Take You??
Maybe you have some questions you’d like to ask before you make a decision on becoming a patient. Please make sure you have fully read the FAQ section! If you are ready to make the investment in yourself, Dr. Courtney would be happy to answer any additional questions about whether or not Golden Road Integrative and Functional Medicine is right for you.