Frequently Asked Questions
Scheduling & Visits
What Are The Restrictions On Virtual Doctor's Visits?
If you are NOT a California resident, your initial visit at Golden Road must be in person. Dr. Courtney King can make arrangements to see out of state patients visiting beautiful wine country!
After the first visit, most follow up appointments are via our HIPPA compliant, user friendly, video/telemedicine service, or by phone, to accommodate her busy clientele, and her select patients across the country.
Annual Membership patients have unlimited email contact with Dr. King. However, if an email question or request is deemed to be too complicated or involved for a response via email, she may request that the member schedule a phone, or telemedicine visit instead of responding via email.
You will also have email access to your Health Coach if you have questions about your personalized diet or lifestyle program.
Scheduling & Cancellations
There is a 24-hour cancellation policy for all appointments with Courtney King, MD, or your health coach. Canceling within 24-hours will result in a $50 charge to the credit card on file.
No-shows: If you do not show up to a phone, video/telemedicine, or in-person appointment without notification, or without changing the appointment using the online scheduling tool on the patient portal, you will be charged $100 to the card on file.
** Even though patients do not pay per visit (as all care is included in the package, or monthly fee) late cancellations and no-shows will be charged, as above, in order to respect the time of Dr. King, and her other patients. Thanks for understanding!**
Billing & Insurance
We Are Not A Conventional Primary Care Physician
You must keep a current Primary Care Physician (PCP), in addition to seeing Dr. Courtney King. Because you can message us online during business hours, we can often give quick Integrative and holistic advice, for acute illnesses, by the end of the day. For example, if you feel a cold or sinus infection coming on, we can provide our favorite herbal and food-based remedies.
If you are to the point where you think you may need an antibiotic, or strep throat swab, etc., you will need to be seen by your PCP. That said, if you do think you are heading to your PCP for antibiotics, please email us ASAP so we can get you on the right probiotic regimen!!! We want to keep as many of those beautiful good bacteria in your gut that we can!
It is important to note the following, however:
1. We do not fulfill ANY insurance company’s requirement for an in-network primary care physician, as we are not in-network with any insurance plan.
2. We are not available for same-day emergency appointments.
3. We do not have a 24-hour answering service and do not take calls on weekends. We will schedule appointments on the weekends in advance when needed, but those are done case by case, for annual membership patients only. If you need to be seen urgently, or have a medical emergency, you will always need to visit an ER or urgent care center.
We Do Not Bill Insurance Companies
Golden Road is a cash-based service only (we take cash, money orders, checks, Visa, MC, and Bitcoin). We work directly for you, not for any insurance company that can negotiate what we can and cannot provide for your health.
We do not negotiate your best health care! The cost of any extra services provided by Golden Road which are not included in the monthly membership, or package fee, will be billed to you directly (supplements, additional labs, additional time with your health coach). We can provide a bill for you to use your Health Spending Account (HSA) for our services.
Some non-Golden Road medical expenses, such as lab tests and prescription medications, may be covered by a member’s health insurance plan, per that plan’s rules. You will always need to check with them first.
Golden Road will NOT submit a medical claim to insurance on your behalf. We cannot assist you with claim resolution for our services. We can provide you with a detailed billing summary (a “Super Bill”) that you may submit to your insurance for reimbursement if you have coverage for “out-of-network” providers.
There may be lab tests that are not covered, depending on your plan’s rules. Just as a heads up, If you have Kaiser insurance, they will not cover any services, or labs, outside of what is provided through Kaiser.
About Lab Tests
- Most lab tests ordered by a physician will be billed directly to your insurance by the lab.
- Some lab tests that we offer as part of our functional medicine testing program may not be covered by insurance, and in these cases you will be charged a fee for a particular test by the lab. Golden Road does NOT mark up the price of the lab tests to annual membership patients, you pay our special discounted practitioner rate for any add on labs.
- The specific tests ordered will be personalized to you based on your initial evaluation with Dr. King, and may include blood, saliva, urine, or stool testing, as indicated.
- We will make every effort to make you fully aware of any additional lab fees that may be incurred, and we give you the opportunity to choose which lab tests you feel comfortable paying for at any given time.
- You are under no obligation to purchase any specialty testing. A lot can be accomplished by knowing your detailed history, physician intuition, and diet and lifestyle changes alone!
- Should any abnormal lab results indicate that you may need further standard testing, you will be directed to continue your care with your primary care physician, or a relevant specialist, while continuing to work with your Golden Road physician.
- At home test kits: If a lab test kit is mailed to you by Golden Road, you (or your insurance) will be charged when you mail the kit and sample back to the lab.
- If your particular insurance company only pays for blood work done at a particular lab facility like LabCorp, or Quest, you must inform us of this in advance of having blood work done.
Golden Road Concierge Memberships all have an annual fee of $1500.
- Comprehensive Functional Medicine Assessment (see below)
- An extensive review of previous medical records and lab work
- Personalized Diet and Lifestyle plans, recommendations for labs and supplements (if needed)
- 45-min session to review lab finding
- 1-2 monthly appointments with Dr. King, as needed or wanted
- Tapering or changing pharmaceutical medications
- Unlimited email access to Dr. Courtney via private patient email
- Free access to workshops, discounted access to Golden Road online courses, and access to the Golden Road Private FB group
- Lots of love and support!!
Annual Members – $250 per month: One month free if total paid upfront.
Maintenance Membership – $150 per month: After the first year we evaluate your ongoing health needs. If you are needing less frequent visits, but want to maintain your optimal health, we can meet every three months after the first year of care.
6-month membership – $300 per month: $3200 total and can be upgraded at any time to the annual membership.
Packages: Not sure you are ready to make the commitment of a membership? Maybe one of the more specific packages would work better for you: Medical Detox, Hormone balancing, or Gut healing.
$2500 Packages include:
- Comprehensive Functional Medicine Analysis
- 90 min intake with Dr. King
- Lab recommendations for the one issue
- 45-min lab review with personalized diet and lifestyle recommendations
- Lab retesting, and a follow up 45-min visit with Dr. King to review your success and cultivate your plan going forward.
Hourly – $400/ hour with a 90-minute intake:
Limited availability. You must have completed the Comprehensive Functional Assessment (see below) prior to hourly medical advice. Typically, this is used by patients who have completed packages, or as an initial consult with a few 30-min follow up visits. This is not the ideal avenue to achieve optimal health – optimal health takes time – but can be good for patients who may only have one concern, or merely want an individualized diet, specific functional testing to be ordered and reviewed, bio-identical hormone replacement, to review genetic testing or 23 & me reports, or a short tune-up medical detox.
Comprehensive Functional Medicine Assessment – $199:
This does not make you a patient of Dr. King, nor does it make you a member of Golden Road. After completing the extensive questionnaires, You will receive your personal Functional Medicine Timeline, A Functional Matrix of your specific imbalances, and you will have a 30-min telemedicine follow up to answer any questions that you have about your results, or about Functional Medicine, but you will not get specific medical advice. This is like a “23 & me” version of your Comprehensive Functional Health. If you decide to become a membership patient within one year, this price will be deducted from your membership joining fee. After completion, you are eligible for the hourly physician rate.
*15% Family Discount: Health works WAY BETTER with a partner-in-crime!!! Join with a friend, or partner, to change your lives together!! Discount for 2 or More people joining at the same time.
Kids packages – See Schedule Now section.
**Cash payments must be made upfront for the period of service (one year or 6 months), as monthly payments are only accepted by credit card.**
**Prices are subject to change.
Where Does Your Golden Road Take You??
Maybe you have some questions you’d like to ask before you make a decision on becoming a patient. Please make sure you have fully read the FAQ section! If you are ready to make the investment in yourself, Dr. Courtney would be happy to answer any additional questions about whether or not Golden Road Integrative and Functional Medicine is right for you.